Tragedy During a Roach Eating Contest
Edward “Eddie” Archbold is seen in the above video grabbing handfuls of roaches, and tossing them in his mouth like peanuts. The 32 year old resident of South Florida passed away earlier this month after eating several dozen of those roaches. The man was competing in a roach-eating contest with the hopes of winning an ivory ball python from a local reptile store.
After almost inhaling a bucket of 2-3 inch long roaches, Eddie threw his hands up in the air and was declared the winner. Shortly after winning the contest, Eddie started to feel sick and began vomiting. He eventually passed out and was rushed to an area hospital where he was declared dead. The medical examiner’s office is carrying out some tests to figure out the exact cause of Eddie’s death. Many are speculating his death was due to an allergic reaction caused by eating the roaches.
A fellow roach eating contestant of Eddies, Mathew Karwacki, made a Facebook comment about the roaches they were eating:
“Yes the contest was crazy, but all the bugs were captive bred and raised on a commercial diet and veggies. These insects are raised for the pet industry as fodder. So there was nothing that those bugs contained that would hurt a human (unless yes there was some sort of allergic reaction, but that is usually instant…he died awhile AFTER the contest)”
Many of us North Carolina residents, along with most of the Western world, find eating roaches revolting. The truth is Entomophagy, or the act of eating insects, is a way of life for millions of people worldwide who rely on insects for protein and other nutrients needed to live. Eating insects is ingrained in many different cultures.
Thailand just might be the insect eating capital of the world. Vendors will sell crispy insects from carts at outdoor markets, and fried crickets are served liked peanuts in bars.
In Latin America ants, fire-roasted tarantulas, and cicadas are common customary dishes. One of the most famous culinary insects in Mexico, the agave worm, is eaten on tortillas and placed in bottles of tequila. Chocolate-covered locusts and candy-covered worms make getting your daily dose of protein oh-so sweet.
In Ghana during the spring rains, winged termites are collected and fried, roasted, or even made into bread. The termites are high in proteins, fats and oils, all of which are needed for a healthy, well-balanced diet.
And in Florida, contestants eat roaches in the hopes of winning a pet snake.
Residents in the Raleigh, North Carolina area find cockroaches to be disgusting pests, not intended for eating… With good reason. They carry over 40 different types of bacteria, and cause numerous diseases. Other unpleasant side effects roaches can cause are food poisoning, dysentery, diarrhea, parasitic worms, and urinary track infections. In addition, they have also been shown to cause allergic reactions in humans, which was likely the cause of Eddie’s death.
If you are a Raleigh resident, you do not want these disease carrying pests anywhere near your property, let alone in your home. If you are having a cockroach problem, contact a local exterminator immediately, and let’s leave the roach eating to the competitive eaters.
Bulwark Pest Control
19 West Hargett Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
Carolina Wildlife Removal
2316 Sapphire Valley Drive
Raleigh, NC 27604
6020 Oak Forest Drive
Raleigh, NC 27616