The state of North Carolina is all abuzz this week over the excitement of the Democratic National Convention being in Charlotte. What many Democratic delegates and conference-goers are not excited about is the possibility of sleeping with bedbugs.
According to websites like BedBugRegistry.com and BedBugReports.com, nine out of ten hotels that are hosting Democratic delegates report bedbug activity in the last year. Visitors report finding bites days after their stays, and at least two have said they ended up bringing bedbugs home with them. The most complaints have been directed at the Charlotte Marriott City Center, but the Double Tree by Hilton, Drury Inn & Suites Northlake, and the Charlotte-Center City Holiday Inn are also having issues.
Bedbug infestations are on the rise at exponential rates—some reports say as much as 75% from the same time last year. The Bedbug Crisis Hotline has increased ten fold in the last 6 months. Many major east coast cities like New York, Washington D.C., and Boston have made national headlines with their bedbug infestations, but Charlotte has a long way to go before they’ll catch up to their infestation levels. Charlotte is currently ranked 33rd.
Bedbug Prevention Tips When Traveling
- Check the beds, mattresses, headboards, sheets, and chairs for any evidence of bedbugs. They look like a flat seed that is reddish-brown in color.
- If you suspect bedbugs, change hotel rooms to a room as far away from the infestation as possible. You may also think about changing hotels as well.
- Keep luggage on luggage racks, or in the middle of the bathroom floor.
- Use suitcases with hard protecting casings and wrap them in plastic.
- Keep small bags and purses on your lap when in taxis, planes, or trains
- Wash luggage upon your arrival home with a garment steam cleaner.
- Wash and dry your vacation clothing immediately when you get home.
- If you do happen to bring bedbugs home with you while on vacation, contact a pest control professional immediately!
For General Pest Control:
Bulwark Pest Control
19 West Hargett Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
Carolina Wildlife Removal
2316 Sapphire Valley Drive
Raleigh, NC 27604
For Bedbug Control:
Logos K9 Bedbug Scent Detection
2335 Derby Drive
Raleigh, NC 27610
Chapel Hill Bed Bugs
198 Justice Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516